Friday, September 19, 2014

[Testimonial by Jamil Sultan on #AzadiSquare Movement]

I am Jamil Sultan, I work at an ad agency in Dubai. I was thinking how I would sum up the story of ’Naya Pakistan’ to my children. This is what i wrote in response to the thought. #theonlyregret And I couldn’t attend all this because I was the one affected, to an extent that I had to leave the country to earn my bread and butter. But there were people, tougher than me, better than me who stayed and made this happen. It was magical, that’s what people say! Something like that never happened in the history of this land, never in the history of this nation, people were raising voices for a same cause; awareness was like raining onto the people. They were getting to know things they never knew but always wanted to or knew it too deep down that it wasn’t merely possible to get them to the brim. My first ever vote; my right to elect, which I used after a lot of research was abducted, tortured and killed. Election was rigged heavily and that’s why people were there on the streets. There was a man; those who have seen him say his charisma lead and people followed. There was something in him that made everyone listen to him, even his enemies. Until then I only knew everything in the country was wrong, I always knew we can make it right but he knew how we can do that. He led from the front, took people out of their homes, first for the election and then for the right to know, to know what happened to their most valuable asset, what happened to their votes, what happened in the election and the government was too corny to give appropriate answer. As the sit in continued, everyday was a new piece of information for the people, someone told them their rights which they had long forgotten; someone told them they were humans not a herd of sheep and someone told them they can get justice even in this part of the world. He didn’t just tell them, he made them believe. This belief was what we call “Change” today, as our people never knew what they were. More than hundred years of slavery and its practices which were followed by our own people were so deep in the roots that only a man like him could gather a crowd and make it a nation. And then what happened? People got their tongues back, they got their rights back, they were no more a dead fish that goes with the flow, they were alive and I have seen the change when I got back. Questioning the leaders became a usual practice which led to a real form of blind justice. You are lucky to be born in Naya Pakistan and I am unlucky I wasn’t there in the movement. The only regret that I carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment